Saturday, August 18, 2007

Manning the The Wacky Water Race

This is Robbie, who worked at the Wacky Water Race game booth at the county fair. I was amazed at his ability to remain in genuine pleasant (and marketable) spirits that helped him sell games, but also came with a certain nonchalant self-awareness which allowed him to perform and yet transcend his limited role as game-master (BTW, this is a graduated liberal arts mind at work). Self-conscious irony, sarcasm and double-talk, rather then reaching beyond the contingency of one's identity, leave one drooping pitifully, and often nihilistically into the dregs of this contingency (riff on DWF). But this light hearted (yet hearted, indeed) performance managed to do the trick of transcendence for the man at the wacky water race. But maybe its just me. I was mainly observing from behind a viewfinder, and most focal lengths do tend to have at least a little distortion.

1 comment:

Evan Petrie said...

Serge, I'm not 100% sure I follow this post and I have a degree in philosophy from an elite liberal arts institution. Perhaps I need to drink more redbull and come back to it? Regardless, the imageis fantastic. The color balance seems spot on and it definitely looks like a challenging scene in terms of the available light. The color of that counter definitely reminds me of a county fair or two that I have experienced. As usual, you have also done a great job (I guess you subject has as well) of conveying a lot of emotion. I don't think I can be 100% certain what he is thinking, but I definitely feel a sincerity and emotional openness in his gaze that stays with me after I stop looking at the image.

Well done my friend.