Thursday, May 14, 2009

To VisCom or not to VisCom



I planned to visit Ohio University for about 3 or 4 days to see if I liked it. I ended up staying there for 7, because I figured out that I like it a lot, thanks mainly to the fine specimens of humanity that I met there, some of whom are shown above. Hanging out with these folks reminded me of my college friends so much, that it felt oddly nostalgic. We took a field trip to rural Ohio, ate at the local diner and built not just a sand castle, but a sand civilization. We even had windy theoretical conversations for hours on end, albeit about photography instead of philosophy.

That said, I decided to defer, not b/c I couldn’t imagine myself there, but because I feel compelled to continue work on this native American youth project. I'm now on the Cheyanne River and Pine Ridge reservations in South Dakota to shoot an assignment for the Lakota Language Consortium. After that, up to Montana for the summer and fall. I don't think I'll be posting from my ongoing project, but I’ll make sure to keep the imagery flowing in some capacity. Thanks to anyone who is still paying attention to this slow lurch of a blog :)

2 comments:

David Kennedy said...

Serge,
Missed this post--last week was a bit of a killer. As long as you are deferring your decision to next year, you should consider coming to Missouri. We seem to have more of a documentary focus than I found at some of the other programs I looked at when I was applying to grad schools, which might compliment what you're trying to do with the Black Feet.
Either way, sounds like waiting a year might be for the best, so best wishes to you. I'll be in North Carolina for part of this summer (in Durham), so if you find yourself back home, let me know!
--David

SG said...

Hey David! Thanks for the suggestion, man. At this point I'm sort of thinking OU or bust, but I might consider applying to Syracuse and Missou as well. OU seemed to be a good fit for my interests, but I'd say I'm sort of on the fence about grad school in general. Don't think I'll be home this summer unfortunately, but I hope you have a blast in Durham. What are you doing for the summer?

Serge