Sunday, December 2, 2007

Ski Season


Mount Baker ski area opened a couple days ago. Watching the light change and the low lying fog lift from the cascade foothills as I approached the ski area at dawn, I felt very fortunate to have this as my job/internship. Struggling to put one foot in front of the other in three feet of powder, wishing that I had a set of skis or a snowboard as I navigated the mountain in my tennis shoes, I still felt pretty fortunate, but not without muttering obscenities at the mountain. However, I couldn't help but feel a touch of envy, when I met all the ski bums who live and work at the mountain. 200 or so free-spirited I young folks living at the foot of some of the prettiest alpine scenery imaginable, skiing/boarding everyday of their carefree winter. 'Utopia' is a word that comes to mind.

3 comments:

Mark Bourne said...

serge, I found your blog through adrienne celt's blog. I went to grinnell, i don't know if you remember who i am. regardless, your pictures are really beautiful.

Evan Petrie said...

I've been waiting for you to post some more shots for a while. This and the "Prayer Tree" image are both well worth the short wait. I really like both of them a lot. I can hardly believe how much is going on in this image and how well it all manages to work together. Great eye and great capture.

SG said...

thanks guys!
This guy was funny. when I went to ask his name for a caption he simply replied "on the mountain they call me Gerber."
I had to explain to him that he couldn't go by his mountain name in the newspaper. I don't know why, but many people feel some sort of threat when I ask for their name for a caption, like I'm going to steal their identity. I've never once asked for a social security number.