Saturday, February 24, 2007

Happy Birthday Buffalo Bill!

Today I had the pleasure of celebrating Buffalo Bill's birthday at The Buffalo Rose Roadhouse in Golden, CO. I've never met so many cowboys in my life. Folks came from all over to reanact characters from that time period, including the legend himself (shown above). Crazy thing is, they weren't just acting like cowboys and cowgirls. Those with the most persuasive performances (such as Buzz, shown above center) hardly had to flinch from what appeared to be the everyday persona. Back when Buzz was a youngster, he used to wear a side- arm (pistol in side holster) and could readily buy dynamite no questions asked. Buzz says that he brings that same sidearm to events like this. I took his word for it.


Here, a judge scratches his head as Johnny Merchant from Salina, UT plays Badger, the mountain man. Although not shown in this image, Johnny's buckskins were unbelievable. He tanned the leather from the buck with its own brains. If you are interested, here are instructions (although I don't know if these are authoritative).

1 comment:

ilan said...

Wow, there's something about it that kindof reminds me of Mule Days.