Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Wild Art and Free Throws

This afternoon I was assigned to go capture "wild art", which today meant: go make an image of how inordinately warm it is, or rather : shoot Goldenians out and about acting like its spring already and how happy they are to be alive. To my delight, in the town of Golden, this was not hard to find. People love the outdoors here. So much so that on warm afternoons like today, they dip their kayaks in the river that runs right through town. This shot was taken just upstream of the main drag.


To weather my frustrations with the drearily low light, fast action demands of high school basketball, I tried some personal compositions during those in-between moments when the action came to a stand still.


Wow, yesterday the clouds stretched and smeared magenta across the sky a lot like in that Ghost Buster's movie. In California they call this "The Sierra Wave", west wind collides with the mountains, is pushed up into the sky gushing in wave like formations at sunset (rough def.). Here, I don't know what to call it. I wanted to get a shot from within the city with streetlights as a secondary light source to offset the sky, but I just couldn't get there fast enough. However, a 5 minute red light, the very thing that held me back from getting on foot, also provided me with a safe little window. Only the second time that I have seen this in my life. I felt very fortunate, albeit at a traffic light.
Yeah, I know. I need to clean my windshield.

1 comment:

Evan Petrie said...

Kayaking in February!? You nailed the focus in that shot, great photo.