Monday, April 23, 2007

Recent Landscapes

Since last week was likely the last snow of the season, I thought I'd take this oppurtunity for at least one more snow post.
This one from last week at Arches National Park. I'm somewhat sad to report that I am almost entirely jaded of photographing landmark landscapes. I just couldn't bring myself to photograph a single post-card arch while I was here. Instead I treated the landscape as framing practice, keeping my eyes out for interesting forms and lines rather than scenes so commonly reproduced that they probably have done more to narrow than to broaden the vision of most park goers. I hope I don't sound too cynical, its just that so much of the joy that I get from photography comes from my freedom to photograph whatever I please. I get to satisfy my own little quirky tastes without having to worry about what others like to feast their eyes on. I don't need a sign with a camera logo on it to cue me into image worthy subjects. Sorry for the negativity. I think that I am mostly scolding my former self for ever falling into the alluring trap of this type of photography.

1 comment:

Evan Petrie said...

I hear you Serge. Everybody notices the big things already, it's about getting people to notice the little things as well.

I like this second shot a lot. The shadows and branches do indeed work well together.