Monday, April 9, 2007

Snow and Joy


Ok, so its been too long since my last post, too long, too long. But there's a lot to catch up on, starting now: So I went on one of the prettier and more divine hikes of my life the other day, really. After a month or so of pleasant weather, Colorado decided to be itself on us, and dump a little snow back into the mix. Very white, and oh-so delicate-and-pretty snow covered just about everything that wasn't under a ceiling, and the mountains were neatly enclosed in matching white fog. So, it was time for a hike (even more than other times are). One of the great things about this hike is that I shared it with someone else whose receptors seemed to be wide open to a beauty-experience: Darryl, a friend from school, now living in Boulder. If the above photo doesn't say it, I'll say it in words: Darryl was quite happy to be out there; happy just to be alive and in attendance for the snow covered everything.


The trick was just getting out of doors and into the mountains. Otherwise, as Darryl pointed out, it would have merely been some cold stuff to scrape off the windshield. But once there, in the mountains, it was the kind of beauty that just shoved itself into you, and tickled. Yeah, at one point Darryl wondered off and disappeared in the fog (shown above). Before I could see his figure return, I heard this deep gut laughter. The laugher continued as he came back into sight, but he wasn't laughing at anything in particular. I think he was just full of joy, and wonder, and a lot of other things that aren't so easily amenable to vocabulary. Man, it was a great moment! I'm glad that I attended!

No comments: