Monday, August 3, 2009

Drive around Medan


Photographing from a moving car is not typically something that I find very effective or satisfying. I prefer to spend some time with my subjects or at least have some sort of brief interaction. But somehow driving through the chaotic and unfamiliar streets of Medan, this approach seems like a fitting way to express the sort of cultural distance inherent to traveling to a place like this. I can get physically closer to my subjects; I can talk with them and get a feel for who they are, but ultimately (at this point) what I have are my very limited observations as a foreigner of what this culture looks like. Here's an example of what I've got so far: Sumatrans crouch and sit back on their heels for long periods of time without showing discomfort. This ability I envy, as it allows one to sit nearly anywhere without having anything in particular to sit on. The universal unchair. I'll definitely have to pursue 'the crouch' as a photo investigation. I'll post my findings here...

1 comment:

E-dawn said...

"The universal unchair" -- how perfectly said serge -- spent a whole year calling it "crouching indonesian, hidden leg cramp" but - your take is much better!!