Sunday, August 16, 2009

Visitors

We spent an afternoon in this beautiful mountain village that had success with tiger proof enclosures for their cattle. Its humorous the crowds we draw who come to gawk and find out what we're up to with our big cameras and foreign faces. Without a shared language, we stare at one another, using our imaginations to connect the dots of our novel appearances.

Most of the children in the village would chatter to and about us in Indonesian, not really expecting to communicate, but for entertainment. But this child below approached me in this very deliberate manner, speaking slowly and looking right into my eyes. I felt on the cusp of comprehending his meaning without understanding his words. His presence was strong enough to express something on its own. Whats strange is that my co worker Gabe (videographer) had the same reaction to him. "He's speaking a different language then the other kids," he exclaimed. And I guess he was...

No comments: