Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Mt. Sanitas


Over the past few days I've hardly shot anything that I felt great about posting. I've kept up with it, mainly to keep to a standard, and to push myself to come up with stuff that I do feel good about posting. Today, however, in the course of about an hour and half, I shot 8 images that I consider post-worthy. Nothing mind-blowing, no dramatic sunset or rare light, just people and scenes that look to me like they need to be photographed. Little moments that make the day rich and visually engaging. Because its not my intention to inundate you with imagery, (we're all already inundated enough) I will spread these out a little. My original idea for the blog was to post images that stood as sort of visual haiku's amidst my day. Because, the metaphor just doesn't work all that well anyway (images don't have syllables, silly) its difficult to determine what counts as a visual haiku. But, for sure, 8 images is way too many syllables for a haiku. I promise, I'm not all that interested in photographing my shadow, my reflection, or really anything that explicitly references my taking the photograph. In fact, I just wanted to take a picture of the damn chair. But I felt way to self-satisfied with how the elements lined up in this frame, and just what a meaningless abstraction they amounted to. There was a sign that indicated the space was for rent. I think it would be great if some old guy with a pipe just sat in there all day on display, smoking. If any rich art patron is interested in funding a public installation piece, I would volunteer to help find the guy with the pipe.

1 comment:

Evan Petrie said...

I think the text stole the spotlight from the photos this time around Serge. Great post.

I do really like the photo with the chair, shadow, and reflection. The reflection clearly puts you outside of the room, but your shadow seems to be approaching the chair as if the glass is no barrier. All-in-all the pieces come together to emphasize a strong feeling of distance/separation for me. The kind of feeling one gets when something is right there, but nonetheless unreachable.